Sunday, July 30, 2006

 

It's About Damn Time


After weeks of speculation, the Phillies today finally traded outfielder Bobby Abreu and pitcher Corey Lidle to the Yankees for a few young prospects, none of whom were the Yanks top farm guys. But whether you like the trade or not, you have to love the fact that Phils GM Pat Gillick was not afraid to pull the trigger on a major deal, something former GM Ed Wade was never really able to do the last few years when the team desperately needed change.

My analysis:

Abreu was clearly not the cause of this team's poor record. Sure the guy messed up few times in the field but you can't argue with his numbers at the plate. He is one of the best hitters in the league. He was, however, making an insane amount of money and sending him and that salary to the Yanks frees up some $$$ for the Phils to spend on a few picthers who can actually pitch. And Lidle, well, no one really cares about him but he could end up being a huge addition for the Bronx Bombers down the stretch.

I will miss Abreu, though, for two reasons. The first reason is his is the only Phillies player jersey I own. I think I've worn it a grand total of one time though because I really don't want people to know I am Phillies fan. The other reason: when Abreu speaks you listen. Seriously, you have to listen real hard to know what he's attempting to say because the guy has the worst case of broken english. It is so much fun watching all the reporters scratch their heads when he talks. I think he's lived in America for at least ten years now so maybe he needs speech therapy or something.

I love Abreu as a Yankee. I hate to admit it but I do pull for the Evil Empire when October comes around. And I hope Bobby turns out to be the guy Red Sox fans remember as the one who killed their 2006 season.

As for the players the Phils got in return, only time will tell if they can cut it at the major league level. History says they will most likely suck.

But again, Gillick is making moves. In addition to the Abreu/Lidle deal, the Phils traded third baseman David "I was pretty awful except for the last two weeks" Bell this weekend and can now look to upgrade that position. And Gillick is trying desperately to dump Pat "I am stealing so much money right now" Burrell and his ridiculous contract.

One thing is for sure, this team will look alot different next season. And that is definitely a good thing.








Comments:
Sports Blogs...SO NOT FUN
 
I know. I'm sorry.
 
Sports anything is always good
 
reading this post was like reading the instruction manual for my new dvd player...

however, the abreu not speaking english thing was very funny.

go phills!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?