Monday, July 17, 2006

 

Mercury Rising

In the spirit of the summer's first heat wave, I put together a spur of the moment list of some of the hotter things in life right now, according to me. And for the hell of it, I included the always exciting "Not So Hot" list. Here they are in no particular order.

So hot right now:
1. The Detroit Tigers- Often the butt of many baseball jokes, the Tigers currently own the best record in baseball, 62-30, and appear to be on their way to their first division championship and playoff series since 1987. I've never actually been to Detroit, just stopped at the airport, but I already know I don't like that city and I really hope I jinxed the Tigers with this post.

2. The Red Hot Chili Peppers- No pun intended with this one. RHCP are like a fine wine, they've gotten better with age. Their newest album, Stadium Arcadium, was released in May, but I only recently had the chance to listen to it in full. It's fantastic. That's three unbelievably good albums in a row for them, with By the Way and Californication preceeding Stadium. So this hot streak really extends back to 1999, when I was still wearing diapers.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean series- Anything Johnny Depp touches turns to gold. Seriously, Edward Scissorhands is a friggin broadway play now. Anyway, I haven't even seen Dead Man's Chest yet, but it's already pulled in mucho dinero. I didn't even think the first one was that good, but I'm apparently in the minority with that opinion. The third of the Pirates series, At World's End, is scheduled to hit theaters sometime in '07.

4. NASA- I'm such a loser. This morning I watched on TV the landing of the shuttle Discovery in Florida. I was expecting some type of disaster to occur. But nothing happened. For the first time in a while, NASA didn't screw up. Discovery was in space for 13 days doing something I really have no interest in knowing about. But the whole mission was flawless and no one died. Congratulations.

5. Italy- Had to throw this one in there. Fresh off its first World Cup title since 1982, Italy is still celebrating one week later. Even as the country's premiere soccer league loses clubs and players due to a huge corruption scandal, the Italians just don't seem to care about anything other than that Cup. Italy is definitely on top of the world right now.

6. Comcast Cable- Thanks to a friend's e-mail, I am aware to the fact that Comcast now carries ESPN Classic, the greatest TV station ever made by a human being. It's channel 265. I'm watching Hoosiers right now. So good. Thank you Comcast.

Not so hot
1. The Coors CEO- You know that guy at the end of some of the Coors commercials who tells viewers to drink responsibly and don't drink and drive? Yea he's Peter Coors, CEO of Coors Brewing of Company. And he just had his license revoked because of a DUI charge on May 28. Way to go, Pete.

2. The Real World- I used to think the Real World Philly cast was the worst of all Real Worlds until I started watching Real World Key West. I hate to say it but it's a good thing there was an insane hurricane season last year because the only exciting part of watching seven strangers in Key West is seeing them run from rain and wind. Yea it's not very exciting at all.

3. Zidane's head- I don't care what the Italian guy said to him, Zidane was the best player on the field and France needed his skills for the final ten minutes and for the penalty kick shootout, which Italy won 5-4. Instead, the meathead in Zidane came out as he viciously headbutted an Italian player in the chest, resulting in an automatic red card and ejection from the championship game of the world's biggest sporting event. Viva Italia!



Comments:
I saw the second "Pirates" movie. Quality-wise it was just lukewarm.
 
tone loc-you had me nodding my head in total agreement until i got to your last No So Hot item...you lost me on #3-Zindane's head.

Yeah, i know that was such a stupid, impulsive thing to do. but it was the coolest thing i've ever seen with my own two eyes. in fact, it will make this World Cup stick in my memory alot longer than if he would've been played it like a "gentlemen" and the Frenchies would have won the Cup.

To Unpretty girls like myself, Zidane's headbutt, head and butt...SO HOT!
 
Touché.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?