Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 

Rock On MTV


Any trivia buff or normal human being knows that it was 25 years ago to the day that MTV premeired with Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles. Many great music videos soon followed throughout the 80's and early 90's. There was Informer by Snow (Canada's greatest gift to America), Jump by Kris Kross, Crossroads by Bone Thugs N Harmony, 500 Miles by the Proclaimers, Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio. All classics without a doubt.

Then as we all know, the music stopped and the former 24-hour music video network became the we play music while your sleeping network. The shift from all music all the time to ridiculous shows whenever you want is now complete. And you know what? I love it.

Sure MTV has produced alot of crap, most notably Carson Daly. Not sure how that guy hosts his own show. I just hope he stays at 1:30 a.m. where he belongs. But MTV is now the ultimate guilty pleasure with reality shows like Laguna Beach, The Hills, and 8th and Ocean, all of which I reluctantly admit to watching from time to time... or every week. Then there is that insanely funny dating show called Next. Unbelievably funny especially when they have the gay ones. There have been some great Real Worlds ( Miami, Seattle, Chicago, Hawaii) and some great Challenges (any ones with Lori or Cara are good enough for me). I'm still waiting for Nick and Jessica to say their divorce was a joke because Newlyweds was quality programming. And who can forget the Spring Breaks? Lots of dry-humping going on during those.

Last but not least, though, MTV gave us two unforgetable characters: Beavis and Butthead. These two cartoon degenerates made my mom believe that I was going to start setting random things on fire. She made me stop watching. But the beauty of youtube now allows me to watch whenever I want. Plus I'm 23 so my mom can't really tell me what I can't watch anymore.

Okay, so MTV has alot of sucky shows now. I get it. Nonetheless, it's been around for a while and television has certainly changed because of it. USA Today put together a nice little top 25 MTV moments list. Do you remember where you were when MJ and Lisa Marie kissed on stage at the VMA's? Neither do I.

Comments:
Don't forget Singled Out. Classic MTV dating show.
 
Your going to talk smack about me seeing Jimmy Buffet when you watch Laguna Beach, The Hills, and 8th and Ocean. You make me sick.
 
Go wear a hawaiian shirt you parrothead.
 
tone loc, you are andy rooney grandson, arent you. your commentary is entertaining, cunning and thoughtful.

i will never forget the first time i watched an episode of the Real World. i was instantly a fan. the ironic part of this is that i was so hooked, i remember being frustrated that i would turn MTV on in hopes of catching an episode, but stupid videos were always playing...and now, i turn MTV on in hopes of trying to catch a video and Real World is on a constant loop. are music videos going to be our generation's 8 tracks?
 
I agree with most of this post. However, I cannot watch Next. I feel so bad for the people who get turned away. Or if the bus people are making fun of the next-er. The worst is when a poor soul gets next-ed before they even complete their walk from the bus.

On a side note, I am becoming increasingly annoyed by the fact that now everyone on MTV is younger than I. Another thing I am too old for - staring at hot male lifeguards at the beach. It is borderline inappropriate now, considering that none of them can legally walk into a bar. Unless their idol is Mitch Bucannon, this is a part-time (pre-college graduation) job.
 
I remember the FIRST video I ever saw... we got cable when I was about 11... instantly turned on MTV...Van Halen's Hot for Teacher was just starting. I was in heaven. I sat there in front of that TV for the next 7 or 8 years. Now I don't even know which channel MTV is on.

Sit Down Waldo!
 
Van Halen: so bad yet so good.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?