Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Weekend Observations

Because my weekend consisted of less action than a JLo/Ben Affleck flick, I had plenty of time to think about things. Here's what I came up with.

I need to get more sleep. Seriously. I went out Friday night, had a few drinks, was home by 12:30, asleep by 1, and still couldn't get out of bed for an 11am rendezvous in Philly. Even after a solid nine hours of sleep, I was still dead tired. There should be a day dedicated just to sleeping. And don't tell me that Sunday is a day of rest. I have to wake up for church and football.

Us Americans are easily entertained. After weeks of unexplained hype, Motherfuckin Snakes on a motherfuckin Plane finally hit theaters Thursday night. SOAP raked in a measly $15.25 mil but was still cine numero uno this weekend. The fact that this movie was built up so much and that people were so into it is hilarious. And if it weren't for my 13-month streak of not going to the movies, I would have went to experience the unintentional comedy of snakes slithering around on an aircraft.

In the world of sports, Tiger Woods is ridiculous. He won his third PGA championship Sunday, making it his 12th major win. And he's only 30. I won't get into arguing about whether or not golfers should be considered athletes. But if they are, Tiger will no doubt go down as one of the greatest ever by the time his career is over. In other news, the Phillies have officially sucked me back in. It's the first time since last September that I actually think this team has a shot to make the playoffs. For whatever reason, they got some life and are playing good ball right now. I'm setting myself up for another disappointing ending aren't I?

Summer doesn't feel like summer anymore. Regardless, there are only a couple more weeks left to slop it up down the shore so I best take advantage.

Comments:
a couple of notes...

first of all, i agree with you whole heartedly on the day just dedicated to sleeping proposal. we should seriously pull for this with our employer...i mean, does anyone really bring their brain to work on Mondays? i think not.

second, "snakes on a plane"- you gotta think that the human race is seriously getting stupider. if this is the summer blockbuster, kill me. i think this all has something to do with global warming.

as far as tiger woods goes...he is our generation's babe ruth. just minus the bear belly and the walking heart attack waiting to happen.

and enjoy your summers while you can, tone. 2036-the end of the stupid human race as we know it!
 
For all those out there who do not know what Chicken Little is referring to, an asteroid will supposedly hit earth in 2036. While I'm sure 20/20's top priority is the American public's well-being rather than high ratings, they are scaring the everyday joe (or josephine) with their blatant use of yellow journalism. Even in the description of their asteroid special, it is obvious that ABC's collective conscience - or their team of lawyers - prevented them from flat out lying. They state, "Depending on the path of the asteroid, scientists say there is a small chance Apophis (the asteroid) could collide with Earth on its return orbit in 2036." A small chance? There's also a small chance that aliens will invade and destroy the planet next Thursday. Not worth the lunch-hour-long tirade I endured yesterday.
 
oh whatever. your just not prepared to meet your maker.
 
Y'all are scaring me...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?