Wednesday, January 24, 2007

 

...Mutumbo?

Six months after my “What the F” invitation I am inspired to make my all-time blogging debut with a recount of a true what the F? moment from last night…

So I’m sitting on my couch watching the State of the Union for the normal stand up, sit down comedy, I think I fell asleep about halfway through after Bush expressed his outrage at how the “enemies of freedom” had suddenly “changed their tactics” (imagine that) and in a state of semi-sleep I hear the President Texas-drawl his way through the name “Dikembe Mutumbo.” As in that Dikembe Mutumbo, defensive anchor of the Sixers finals run, previously best known for spreading diplomacy through aggressive finger wagging and apparently, according to Bush, builder of several hospitals in his native Congo. It seems I was not the only one that found his appearance at the State of the Union kind of bizarre, as my phone immediately buzzed with a text saying only “…Mutombo?” from my displaced Philadelphia friend Ed (with whom I rang up a 9 text message back and forth with on Monday night expressing our absolute outrage that "24" could introduce Jack Bauer’s dad as a character- and a shady one at that- and not cast Donald Sutherland. Seriously Kiefer, you don’t have his number or what?).

Greatest regret of the night- Bush declining to refer to ambassador Mutombo (who still averages 3 pts and 6 boards a game for the Rockets by the way, even though his legs are in a condition somewhere between Chris Webber's and Barbaro's) by his full name (I’m not making this up) Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo. Can we get Will Ferrell as W doing that one? Somebody?


Comments:
well look who decided to show. Mutumbo=the cookie monster
 
You guys ever heard about the "Who wants to sex Mutombo" story?

I heard he used to go to parties at Georgetown and yell that.
 
Not only that, but he was involved in the legendary "Gold Club" scandal in Atlanta when he was with the Hawks, along with half the NBA, and I believe Andruw Jones when he was like 20. Not sure if that made it into the speech.
 
Seriously - Donald Sutherland soo should've been Jack Bauer's dad. Oh, well. Jack's still a total badass for killing his own bro. I'm not commenting on the sports stuff 'cause I don't get it.
 
My favorite part of the speech came just after that when W introduced the Subway Hero. That guy was hilarious. He actually was pointing to people below in the crowd. Do you think he's boys with Kerry?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?