Tuesday, October 02, 2007

 

I'm a superstitious sports fan

Over the past 23 years of not winning championships, I've formed a pattern of behaviors that I believe contribute to the successes (or lack of) of our local sports teams. This strict collection of rules to root by has been tested through trial and error since 1993, and despite the fact we haven't won anything, the losing has allowed me to tweak the system as needed. I made them official in 2005.

So here are my rules:

Superstition 1: No superstitions.

This is nearly impossible to explain, but the idea is to NOT have any superstitions because they do not affect the outcome. Basically, I must proceed as normally as possible and not change actions and decision making based on the fact there is a big game/ playoff run. This rule guides all of the others.

Rule activated: 2004

Superstition 2: No team apparel during the game.
Almost never will you catch me at s sporting event or at home watching the game in a jersey or hat. On a normal day, would I be wearing a jersey? Nope. Hat? Nope. I consider that stuff superstitious. So in keeping with Superstition 1, gear during the game IS off limits. Of course there are exceptions.

Exception: If I believe 100% that in a particular circumstance, I would wear a jersey or team shirt for reasons other than the game, then it is okay to proceed. For example, if I have no clean clothes and I happen to have a clean Sixers t-shirt, it’s fine that wear it during the game, as long as I didn’t make a conscious decision to wear it for the purpose of the game.

Rule activated: 2004

Superstition 3: No predicting the outcome before the game.
C’mon. No sports fan is willing to jinx the whole thing.

Rule activated: 1993

Superstition 4: Watch the game at home, or wherever I would normally be watching it.
If I normally watched Sixers games during the season at home, then during a playoff run I’d watch them at home. If I normally watch the Phillies game at the bar, then I’ll watch them at the bar during a big game. Home is always a safe place because 99% of the time, a large chunk of games were watched there. Special parties are frowned upon.

Rule activated: 2005

Superstition 5: No drinking during the game.
Especially Eagles games. After the game, it’s whatever.

Exception: If I would normally drink that night, it’s no problem. If I’m drinking because I’m watching the game, I’m in violation.

Rule activated: 2007

Superstition 6: If what I’m doing during the game is not helping, switch it up.
If for some reason, I’ve followed all of my rules and the game is going horribly… abandon them. Rules one is ‘no superstitions’ so I’m free to do whatever I want. If the Eagles are getting killed and I’m chilling at the house, it might be time for me to throw a jersey on and head to the sports bar.

Rule activated: 2001

Go Phils! I'm going through a lot here.


Comments:
your list is crazy. no gear? no beer? this is just ridiculous. still a good post though. lets go phils
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?